I remember some years ago, when I decided I would live a more natural life… I had the motivation, I had the yearning – but what I didn’t have, was a clue about how this would play out in my every day life. Now, some years into it, I’ve come up with some core principles of living a natural life. They are not complete, by all means, as they are as organic and ever-growing as nature itself, nor are they always possible to apply, but still: one has to have goals and aspirations, right?
So here are my core principles of living a natural life:
1. Get rid of as many toxins as possible. Your body is part of nature, and you are not separate from the rest of the ecosystem. Hurt yourself, and you’ll hurt nature for sure.
2. Get on a natural diet. No, I don’t mean dieting as in necessarily losing weight, I mean it in the sense of eating what human beings would eat if it weren’t for McDonald’s and the Coca-Cola Company. You wouldn’t give a parrot dog food, would you? Same thing with us: eat the natural foods that humans are supposed to eat: meat, vegetables, fruit, eggs, nuts and seeds. No grains. No processed foods.
3. Move naturally. Go for walks. Run or swim a bit. Lift heavy stuff occasionally. What would you do if you actually lived out in nature? Do that! And get outdoors as much as you can, you were not designed to live as a caged animal.
4. Raise your children based on their natural needs, and pay less attention to the cultural dogmas. We are sometimes taught to let our babies cry it out, for instance. If you did that in paleo times, you would be in for heaps of trouble. Not only would the crying attract not so nice animals, but your child, being left alone, would truly and deeply believe he was in real danger of getting eaten or of freezing to death. Now there are no wild beasts to be scared of – but your child’s brain is still wired to think there are. Ever heard about monsters under the bed? Those might just be remnants of a more real threat, and should be taken just as seriously. Because for your child, it is.
5. Tread lightly on planet Earth. This is where your air, water and food comes from, and where you find sources of energy and heat. Doing damage to Earth, is doing damage to yourself, and it’s only fair that we should treat the planet with the respect it deserves for having us here. So reuse, recycle, redesign to your heart’s content, and do without factory made as much as you can. Stay as close to the source as possible, and take only what you need.
How about you? Do you have any principles for living a natural life? I would love to hear your ideas and how you implement them, so please share in the comments field below. And if you liked this blog post, please share with your friends on G+, Twitter and Facebook as well. Thanks! 🙂
Trenger økonomien din en detox? Meld deg på nyhetsbrevet mitt, så får du inspo! 🙂